Thursday, January 6, 2011

My Very First Mascot Appearance

The Best of the Decade Award has really made me nostalgic.  I decided to go back all the way to the beginning to try and rekindle the feelings I had as a brand new mascot.  I stumbled across the pictures from my very first mascot appearance.  See, I never even considered mascotting before college.  I'm sure most performers get their start at a middle school or high school football game or parade, my first official event was the 2001 CCHA Championship Game at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.  It was an experience I'll never forget.  I figure I'll add some witty captions to describe my experience.

About to step onto the JLA Ice for my first promotion ever, how did I not put the two UM lovers in a headlock?

This is what happens when Death mates with a hockey goalie.  Also note fellow rookie Sparty Erik staring in awe.

"Keep your arms up! Lift your legs!"I couldn't believe how heavy this head felt.

Aren't people supposed to cheer?  I mean, I'm Sparty!

Chicks dig dudes in green.

Kids love some Sparty.

In hindsight, I should have made more of an effort to get behind Dave Ellis and the camera.

Pretty cool to lead a CCHA Championship Parade on your first event, no matter how much I had to learn.

Hey Idiot, Get in the Championship Pic!!!!


 It didn't strike me for a year or two that many mascots never get to experience something like this, but that this was a luxury at a school like MSU with big time collegiate athletics.  This was my first event and I clearly remember on the way back to East Lansing, not being able to see due to the record amounts of sweat that had stung my eyes that night.

I also took away a few things from my first appearance.
  • I knew my life would never be the same
  • I thought it was crazy that college students were allowed to have this much fun on behalf of the university
  • Always rinse hair spray or gel out of your hair before working a 3 hour hockey game
  • When working a hockey game and you don't have skates, don't try and walk on the ice after the zamboni





No comments:

Post a Comment